The MinKwon Center's Social Services program offers a comprehensive range of free social and legal services to more than 8,000 low-income community members. Providing all of our services in Korean and Chinese, the MinKwon Center assists mainly limited English proficient immigrants who often face difficultly gaining to potential available resources.
The MinKwon Center offers a range of free immigration-related legal services and educational workshops dedicated to assisting low-income, limited English proficient immigrants within our community. Services offered include the following:
- Citizenship and Naturalization
- Green Card renewal
- Adjustment of Status
- Deportation Defense
- DACA, DAPA, and DACA-E assistance
The MinKwon Center provides free legal services around a variety of landlord-tenant issues such as eviction, rent overcharge, and even free legal representation for housing court proceedings. Services offered include the following:
- Tenant issues (i.e. eviction, rent overcharge, repairs, heat & hot water, noise, harassment, security deposits and succession rights)
- Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) and Disable Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE) assistance
- Free legal representation at housing court
To inform and assist our community on their workers’ rights, MinKwon provides free assistance from the MinKwon Center’s Social Services staff in the following ways:
- Legal representation on issues regarding unpaid wages, minimum, and overtime
- Unemployment Insurance assistance
- Worker’s Compensation assistance
As a Single Stop USA site, the MinKwon Center performs benefit screenings for all of our clients to determine their eligibility for public benefits. Despite the existence of local laws which guarantee language access, our community still faces language barriers and discrimination during their application process.
Free Income Tax Preparation Clinic
The MinKwon Center offers a comprehensive tax education and assistance program to over 400 low-income households in the tristate area.
Financial Literacy Education & Services
The MinKwon Center is dedicated to developing economic stability for our Korean and Chinese immigrants through financial literacy workshops and seminars.
MinKwon provides free Food Stamps and HEAP (Heat and Energy Assistance Program) screening, and if community members are eligible, MinKwon will provide free application and recertification assistance and community education.