Summer 2018 Internship: Chinese Community Outreach Intern
The MinKwon Center for Community Action was established in 1984 to meet the needs and concerns of the Korean American community through our five program areas: Community Organizing and Advocacy, Social and Legal Services, Civic Participation, Youth Empowerment, and Culture. Since our founding, we have made a profound presence in the Korean American community through various grassroots organizing, education, and advocacy initiatives that address important community issues, including immigration policies at the national, state and city levels, voter rights, and cultural awareness. The MinKwon Center places a special emphasis on meeting the needs of our marginalized community members, including youth, elderly, recent immigrants, low-income residents, and limited-English-proficient residents. More recently, it has expanded its program areas to work with the Chinese American community as well.
The Social Services program provides free legal services to low-income Asian immigrant communities throughout New York in the areas of immigration and housing law, as well as providing application assistance for various public benefits such as Food Stamps (SNAP) and the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP).
● Conduct client screenings and intakes; complete benefit applications and case assessments
● Manage daily client communications and update client database
● Conduct research and community outreach activities
● Provide language assistance to other staff as needed
● Participate in organization-wide events
● Supervision: Intern is supervised by the Chinese Community Outreach Manager.
● Compensation: Academic credit can be arranged, and some stipends will be provided.
● Hours: Minimum of 20-24 hours/week.
● Duration: The internship runs from June to August 2018. Specific internship dates will be discussed in person.
● Fluency in English and Mandarin Chinese is required
● Interest and experience in working with the Asian American community and social justice issues
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines efficiently with minimal supervision.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Summer 2018 Chinese Community Outreach Intern” in the subject. Due to the high volume of applications, the MinKwon Center will only contact applicants who have been selected for an interview.
Back to Jobs Page