Social Services Associate
The MinKwon Center for Community Action is seeking a dedicated and talented individual to serve as a Social Services Associate. The Social Services Associate will have the opportunity to work directly with low- and middle-income clients in need of public benefits and tax filing assistance, as well as with other staff on the implementation of various Social Services programs.
"Live Righteously, Know Your Roots, Live in Harmony"
~Yoon Han Bong, founder of the MinKwon Center
The MinKwon Center for Community Action is a dynamic, people-powered organization that serves, educates, and organizes the Korean American and Asian Pacific American (APA) communities in New York. The MinKwon Center offers free assistance for immigration and public benefits, provides free legal representation for immigration and housing, promotes civic participation with voter and census registration and outreach, and organizes campaigns with other local, state, and federal coalitions. By prioritizing the needs and voices of low-income, undocumented, youth, senior, and limited-English-proficient residents, we are building a multilingual, multi-generational base of engaged community members to achieve social and economic justice for all.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
• Conduct client screenings, intakes, and case assessments
• Coordinate and organize regular public benefit clinics and tax preparation clinics
• Prepare and submit public benefit applications on behalf of clients
• Prepare tax returns and applications for tax credits
• Manage routine client communications
• Prepare and conduct educational workshops for community members and partners
• Maintain detailed notes in case management system
• General administrative and clerical duties
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of the following:
• English and Korean proficiency is required
• Interest, experience, and demonstrated commitment towards working on social justice issues in the context of the immigrant, Asian American or Korean American community
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to be highly organized, to meet deadlines, to manage a high caseload, and take initiative on projects with minimal supervision
• Ability to work well both independently and in teams
• Ability and willingness to participate in occasional evening/weekend events
• Bachelor’s degree required
The MinKwon Center will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applications, the MinKwon Center will only contact applicants who have been selected for an interview.
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
Yoon Ji Kim
Social Services Director
Note: Please write ‘Social Services Associate’ in the subject line of the email.
Back to Jobs Page