Social Services Associate
Title: Social Services Associate
Program Area: Social Services
Supervisor: Social Services Director
Location: Flushing, NY (mostly remote due to COVID-19 with some essential in-office work)
Salary: starting at $38,000 per year, DOE
Benefits (during and post-COVID): Medical/Dental Coverage, Personal Time, Vacation Time, Comp Time, Transit Benefits, Occasional Staff Meals and After-Work Activities, Occasional Work Travel, Invitations to Trainings, Conferences, and Other Career-Building Opportunities
Employment Type: Full-Time
ORGANIZATION HISTORY AND MISSION
The MinKwon Center for Community Action is a dynamic, mission-driven, and people-powered nonprofit organization that serves, educates, and organizes the Korean American, Asian Pacific American (APA), and immigrant communities in New York and around the country. The MinKwon Center offers free assistance for immigration and public benefits, provides free legal representation for immigration and housing, promotes civic participation with voter and census registration and outreach, and organizes campaigns with other local, state, and federal coalitions. By prioritizing the needs and voices of low-income, undocumented, youth, senior, and limited English proficient residents, we are building a multilingual, multi-generational base of engaged community members to achieve social and economic justice for all.
We are seeking a dedicated and talented individual to serve as a Social Services Associate. The Social Services Associate will have the opportunity to work directly with low- and middle-income clients in need of public benefits and tax filing assistance, as well as with other staff on the implementation of various Social Services programs.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
• Conduct client consultations, screenings, intakes, and case assessments
• Coordinate and organize regular public benefit clinics and tax preparation clinics
• Prepare and submit public benefit applications on behalf of clients
• Prepare tax returns and applications for tax credits
• Manage routine client communications
• Prepare and conduct educational workshops for community members and partners
• Maintain detailed notes in case management (CM) system
• General administrative and clerical duties
The minimum required qualifications for this position include the following:
• Spoken and written fluency or proficiency in the Korean language
• Bachelor's degree or higher (degree in social sciences, social work, or nonprofits a plus)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work well independently and in teams
• Flexibility in working nights, weekends, and outside normal office hours
The ideal candidate will also have the following preferred qualifications:
• Work and/or volunteer experience in social service, CM, and/or related social work
• Spoken and written fluency or proficiency in the following languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, other Chinese dialects, and/or Spanish
• Knowledge, interest, and commitment towards concepts and issues of social, political, and economic justice and positive social change in the U.S., especially in the context of Korean American, APA, and/or immigrant communities
• Ability to be highly organized, meet deadlines, manage a high caseload, and take initiative on projects with minimal supervision and a sense of ownership
• Proficiency in using Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and various CM systems
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume to:
Yoon Ji Kim
Social Services Director
Please write 'Social Services Associate' in the email subject line, and please specify in your email how you found out about this position. (website, LinkedIn, Indeed, Facebook, etc.) Screening of complete applications will begin immediately and continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled and this posting is removed. Due to the high volume of applications, the MinKwon Center will only contact applicants who have been selected for an interview. No phone calls, please.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The MinKwon Center for Community Action welcomes people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, backgrounds, and experiences to consider working with us. We encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color, immigrants, women and gender nonbinary people, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities to apply.
The MinKwon Center for Community Action does not discriminate against current or prospective employees based on race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, age, martial status, family or dependent status, criminal record, disability, mental illness, sexual orientation, genetics, active military, credit score and history, or any other protected class in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Back to Jobs Page