The MinKwon Center for Community Action invites applications for a Development Director. The position will be part of our leadership team and work closely with our staff and Board to help raise revenue and create a strong foundation for our award-winning programs in advocacy & organizing, social services, civic engagement and youth empowerment.
"Live Righteously, Know Your Roots, Live in Harmony"
~Yoon Han Bong, founder of the MinKwon Center
The MinKwon Center for Community Action is a dynamic, people-powered organization that serves, educates, and organizes the Korean American and Asian Pacific American (APA) communities in New York. The MinKwon Center offers free assistance for immigration and public benefits, provides free legal representation for immigration and housing, promotes civic participation with voter and census registration and outreach, and organizes campaigns with other local, state, and federal coalitions. By prioritizing the needs and voices of low-income, undocumented, youth, senior, and limited-English-proficient residents, we are building a multilingual, multi-generational base of engaged community members to achieve social and economic justice for all.
The Development Director will work closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and with other staff to plan, execute and implement a robust fundraising strategy for the organization. Specifically, the Development Coordinator will have the following responsibilities:
• Develop, oversee and strengthen our organization’s long-term fundraising strategy, working closely with the Executive Director, Program leads, and Board;
• Set annual fundraising goals together with organization’s leadership, and meet goals through strong execution of development efforts;
• Prospect potential funding streams with a long-term relationship approach from all sources (foundation, major donor, individual, corporate, government), and develop new funding partnership opportunities;
• Lead and cultivate lasting relationships with donor prospects with leadership, program staff, and Board;
• Plan, execute, and implement annual fundraising events including the annual Gala, Spring Reception, Annual Appeal, and increase visibility and awareness of the MinKwon Center ‘s impact and mission;
• Develop, draft and edit funding proposals for our specific program areas as well as for general organizational support.
• Prepare, draft and edit grant reports to funders, and work with administrative and program staff to gather needed financial and programmatic information;
• Maintain detailed grants management database, records, and systems;
• Deepen relationships and communications with current and prospective program officers and funders.
• 3+ years experience in development and fundraising, or like position, with demonstrated success in increasing revenue and establishing strong relationships with funders and donors or clients;
• Interest, experience and demonstrated commitment to social justice especially on issues supporting immigrant communities.
• Ability to work closely and cordially with co-workers and allies;
• Excellent ability to communicate our mission, impact, growth trajectory, and programs;
• Understanding of Korean and Asian American communities preferred;
• Strong project management skills working in team environment;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to manage funder relationships;
• Ability to be highly organized, adapt to simultaneous timelines, and take initiative on projects with minimal supervision;
• Ability and willingness to participate in occasional evening/weekend events;
• Exceptional writing and communications skills.
The MinKwon Center will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Due to the volume of applications, the MinKwon Center will only contact applicants who have been selected for an interview.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to:
Note: Please write ‘Application for DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR – [YOUR FIRST NAME, LAST NAME]’ in the subject line of the email.
Back to Jobs Page