Title: Development Director
Program Area: Development, Communications
Supervisor: Executive Director, Board of Directors
Location: Flushing, NY (mostly remote due to COVID-19 with some essential in-office work)
Salary: starting at $60,000 per year, DOE
Benefits: Medical/Dental/Vision Coverage, Transportation Benefits (Transitchek), Generous PTO policy, Occasional Staff Meals and After-Work Activities, Occasional Work Travel, and Professional Development Fund for trainings
Employment Type: Full-Time
ORGANIZATION HISTORY AND MISSION
The MinKwon Center for Community Action is a dynamic, mission-driven, and people-powered nonprofit organization that serves, educates, and organizes the Korean American, Asian Pacific American (APA), and immigrant communities in New York and around the country. The MinKwon Center offers free assistance for immigration and public benefits, provides free legal representation for immigration and housing, promotes civic participation with voter and census registration and outreach, and organizes campaigns with other local, state, and federal coalitions. By prioritizing the needs and voices of low-income, undocumented, youth, senior, and limited English proficient residents, we are building a multilingual, multi-generational base of engaged community members to achieve social and economic justice for all.
We are seeking a dedicated and talented individual to serve as a Development Director. The Development Director will work closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and other staff to plan, execute and implement a robust fundraising strategy for the organization and create a strong foundation for our four program areas: Advocacy & Community Organizing, Social Services, Civic Participation, and our Youth Empowerment Program.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
• Develop, oversee and strengthen our organization’s long-term fundraising strategy, working closely with the Executive Director, Program leads, and Board
• Set annual fundraising goals together with organization’s leadership, and meet goals through strong execution of development efforts
• Prospect potential funding streams with a long-term relationship approach from all sources (foundation, major donor, individual, corporate, government), and develop new funding partnership opportunities
• Lead and cultivate lasting relationships with donor prospects with leadership, program staff, and Board
• Plan, execute, and implement annual fundraising events including the annual Gala, Spring Reception, Annual Appeal, and increase visibility and awareness of the MinKwon Center ‘s impact and mission
• Develop, draft and edit funding proposals for our specific program areas as well as for general organizational support
• Prepare, draft and edit grant reports to funders, and work with administrative and program staff to gather needed financial and programmatic information
• Maintain detailed grants management database, records, and systems
• Deepen relationships and communications with current and prospective program officers and funders
The minimum required qualifications for this position include the following:
• 3+ years experience in nonprofit development and/or fundraising, with demonstrated success in increasing revenue and establishing strong relationships with funders, donors, and clients
• Excellent written and interpersonal communications skills to convey our mission, impact, growth trajectory, and programs to funders and donors and manage funder and donor relationships
• Excellent project management skills working in team environment
• Ability to work well independently, in teams, and in collaboration with outside organizations
• Ability to be highly organized, adapt to simultaneous timelines, and take initiative and ownership on projects with minimal supervision
• Bachelor's degree or higher (degree in nonprofit development, communications, or marketing a plus)
The ideal candidate will also have the following preferred qualifications:
• Work experience in Korean American and APA nonprofit organizations and/or nonprofit organizations in the New York City area
• Spoken and written fluency or proficiency in the following languages: Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese, other Chinese dialects, and/or Spanish
• Knowledge, interest, and commitment towards concepts and issues of social, political, and economic justice and positive social change in the U.S., especially in the context of Korean American, APA, and/or immigrant communities
• Proficiency in using Google Suite, Microsoft Office, various client management programs, and social media
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a detailed cover letter, resume, and one writing sample to:
Please write 'Development Director' in the email subject line, and please specify in your email how you found out about this position. (website, LinkedIn, Indeed, Facebook, etc.) Screening of complete applications will begin immediately and continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled and this posting is removed. Due to the high volume of applications, the MinKwon Center will only contact applicants who have been selected for an interview. No phone calls, please.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The MinKwon Center for Community Action welcomes people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, backgrounds, and experiences to consider working with us. We encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color, immigrants, women and gender nonbinary people, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities to apply.
The MinKwon Center for Community Action does not discriminate against current or prospective employees based on race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, age, martial status, family or dependent status, criminal record, disability, mental illness, sexual orientation, genetics, active military, credit score and history, or any other protected class in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Back to Jobs Page