Community Organizing Associate
The MinKwon Center for Community Action is pleased to invite applications to join our team as a Community Organizing Associate. We are seeking an outgoing, action-oriented individual to play a leading role in our organizing work in the immigrant, Asian American and Korean American communities. This is a full-time, salaried position.
Organization History & Mission
The MinKwon Center for Community Action was established in 1984 to meet the needs and concerns of the Korean American community. Since our founding, we have made a profound presence through various grassroots organizing, education, and advocacy initiatives that address important community issues, including immigration policies, civic participation, and targeted social and legal services. The MinKwon Center places a special emphasis on meeting the needs of our marginalized community members, including low-income, limited-English-proficient and undocumented residents.
The Community Organizing Associate would work in the Korean American, Asian American, and immigrant communities to grow an informed, active base of community members who are fully engaged in campaigns advancing social justice in immigrant rights, housing and tenants’ rights, civil and voting rights and other issues at the federal, state and local levels.
The Community Organizing Associate’s main responsibilities would include, though not be limited to:
· Lead events/activities in outreach and engagement of undocumented young adults, LEP individuals and senior citizen immigrants. Specifically, coordinate regular member meetings, workshops, and other community-building and educational programs
· Cultivate the growth of community members into community leaders and advocates who will engage issues such as immigration, housing and other civil and human rights issues
Support the MinKwon Center in partnerships, coalition activities, advocacy efforts and other external relationships
Help with media activities that raise awareness through mainstream and ethnic press
Provide logistical and other support to civic engagement team members and MinKwon staff
· Interest and/or experience in working on progressive social justice issues
· Spoken fluency or proficiency in the Korean language
· Ability to work well both independently and on a team
· Excellent communication skills (written, verbal) and openness to public speaking
· Flexibility in working evenings and weekends
The MinKwon Center will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please prepare a detailed cover letter and resume describing your interest in the organization and the position and email to:
James Hong, Co-Director
NOTE: Make subject line of email “Application to Position: Community Organizer - [YOUR NAME]”
Back to Jobs Page