Civic Participation Coordinator
The MinKwon Center for Community Action is pleased to invite applications to join our team as a Civic Participation Coordinator. We are seeking an outgoing, action-oriented individual to play a key role in our voter engagement work in the immigrant, Asian American and Korean American communities. This is a full-time, salaried position.
Organization History & Mission
The MinKwon Center for Community Action was established in 1984 to meet the needs and concerns of the Korean American community. Since our founding, we have made a profound presence through various grassroots organizing, education, and advocacy initiatives that address important community issues, including immigration policies, civic participation, and targeted social and legal services. The MinKwon Center places a special emphasis on meeting the needs of our marginalized community members, including low-income, limited-English-proficient and undocumented residents.
The Civic Participation Coordinator works with the Korean American, Asian American, and immigrant communities as part of the Civic Engagement Team to grow an informed, active base of community members who are fully engaged and in campaigns and elections on issues such as immigrants’ rights and comprehensive immigration reform, housing and tenants’ rights, fairer allocation of city and state budgets, and voting rights.
The position’s responsibilities would include the following:
· Serve as the main point person regarding census-related activities, including strategizing and coordinate activities for the APA Complete Count Committee, and attending other census coalition meetings such as NY Counts 2020, and the Queens Complete Count Committee
· Provide strong support to MinKwon’s coalition leadership among organizations in New York City focused on boosting civic engagement in the Asian Pacific American community. This includes strategizing the overall direction of APA VOICE (APA VOICE: Voting and Organizing to Increase Civic Engagement), coordinating coalition events and meetings, making sure grant deliverables are being met, and providing technical assistance to organizations.
· Lead MinKwon’s voter-focused outreach and education. This includes developing materials, canvassing door-to-door and encouraging community participation in elections and in issue advocacy, and executing and improving voter registration efforts.
· Provide support for the planning and execution of voter education events, such as candidate forums and voter engagement trainings. This includes coordinating with other organizations and government officials and overseeing the logistical details for events.
· Participation and leadership around voting reform
· Working closely with other staff to integrate civic engagement into MinKwon’s work in advocacy, community organizing, youth empowerment and social services.
· Support fundraising goals to maintain and expand the program through grant reports, tracking outcomes and deliverables
-Experience and/or interest in working on social justice issues in the context of the immigrant, Asian American or Korean American community
-Experience and/or interest in advocacy and organizing
-Experience in prioritizing projects and day-to-day work, often under a deadline
-Ability to work well both independently and in teams
-Excellent communication skills (written, verbal)
-Flexibility in working evenings and weekends required
-Proficiency in Korean or Mandarin language preferred
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please prepare a detailed cover letter and resume describing your interest in the organization and the position and email to:
NOTE: Make subject line of email, “Application to Position: Civic Participation Coordinator - [YOUR NAME]”
Back to Jobs Page