Youth Engagement Associate (Part-Time)
The MinKwon Center for Community Action is pleased to invite applications to join our team as a Youth Engagement Associate. We are seeking an outgoing, action-oriented individual to play a key role in our civic engagement of the immigrant, Asian American and Korean American communities. This is a part-time position.
Organization History & Mission
The MinKwon Center for Community Action was established in 1984 to meet the needs and concerns of the Korean American community. Since our founding, we have made a profound presence through various grassroots organizing, education, and advocacy initiatives that address important community issues, including immigration policies, civic participation, and targeted social and legal services. The MinKwon Center places a special emphasis on meeting the needs of our marginalized community members, including low-income, limited-English-proficient and undocumented residents.
The Youth Engagement Associate works with the Korean American, Asian American, and immigrant communities as part of the Civic Engagement Team to grow an informed, active base of community members who are fully engaged and in campaigns and elections on issues such as immigrants’ rights and comprehensive immigration reform, housing and tenants’ rights, fairer allocation of city and state budgets, and voting rights.
As part of their work in the community, the Associate will plan and execute MinKwon’s Youth Empowerment Program, with the aim of developing high school youth to be leaders in the social justice movement, and integrating them into MinKwon’s work in advocacy and voter engagement.
The Youth Engagement Associate plays a multi-faceted role with the following main responsibilities:
- Developing and executing a progressive curriculum for high school youth to become familiar and engaged in various social justice issues, with the goal of cultivating leaders
- Working closely with team members to integrate youth into other elements of the Civic Engagement team’s work
Advocacy & Organizing
Engaging in advocacy campaigns on issues such immigrants’ rights, voting rights, immigration reform and tenants’ rights
- Interest and/or experience in working on social justice issues in the context of the immigrant, Asian American or Korean American community
Experience in prioritizing projects and day-to-day work, often under a deadline
- Ability to work well both independently and in teams
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal)
- Flexibility in working evenings and weekends required
- Proficiency in the Korean language preferred
The MinKwon Center will accept applications until March 12, 2017. Please prepare a cover letter and resume describing your interest in the organization and the position and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Attn: Jake Dong, Community Engagement Manager)
NOTE: Make subject line of email “Application to Position: Youth Engagement Associate - [YOUR NAME]”
Back to Jobs Page